Sunday, April 21, 2013

Happy Birthday, Sarah

Thirty-five years ago our 6th baby was born.  And of the six, she's the only one who gets to always be our baby because she was the last.  
We were so fortunate this year to be able to spend her birthday with her because she lives way down in Louisville, Kentucky and we can never visit as often as we'd like to.
After we got home, I called her; not only to let her know that we'd gotten home safely but also to conduct her birthday phone interview with her.  Here's how it went.



So does it feel different to be 35?   Well....ummmmm...it feels fine.  I don't feel 35 but I don't mind being 35.  It doesn't feel like it's that old.  It just doesn't feel like it's my age.
What's so great about living in Louisville?  Everything..  Louisville's awesome.  The best thing is the climate. I love the mild winters and summers feel so long.  Plus it's full of friendly people.  I also like that there's lots to do.  It has big city benefits with a small town feel.  And it doesn't hurt that Louisville has special holidays like Derby and Thunder.  I feel really proud to live here.
 What's not so great about living in Louisville?  Summers are humid. And the Ohio River Valley tends to exacerbate allergies and sometimes even seems to cause them.

How do you manage to juggle a career, a household, and raising three wonderful children?  I don't think it's that hard so I don't think about it.  I feel like I have a pretty good life.  Also I use a dry erase calendar that I could never live without.
How do you feel about being the youngest of 6 children?  Lucky.  I love being the baby of the family.

How did you feel about it when you were a child?  I loved it even more.  They taught me everything not to do.  I was always good because I knew I didn't want any of that action.  I stayed OUT of trouble.
What do you like to do in your spare time?  Watch garbage on TV and golf.  And I really love to spend time with my family.  Just hanging out with Mike and the kids is perfect for me.
Did you do anything special for your birthday?  Well my mom and dad were here - that was special.   And it was a relaxing day where I got to be really spoiled. I'd have to say it was about as perfect as birthdays can get.  Oh and I ate lots of my favorite foods like biscuits and gravy for breakfast, extra coffee, Texas Roadhouse for dinner, Decadent Fudge Track ice cream, and birthday cake.
What do you like about being a mother.  Love.   Loving the kids, seeing the kids love each other, loving Mike...it's all tied into my role as mother and it's a great feeling.
 
So what can you tell us about yourself that we haven't covered yet.  Well, I'd probably say something about just being a lucky person.  I have a really good life and after being with Mike for 16 years, I'm still crazy about him.   I couldn't imagine a better life for me.  And, I couldn't have dreamt to be where I am today.  I'm so lucky.

I can tell you a few more things about Sarah, too.  She's been a happy little blessing since the day she was born.  She's the original family girl and she'd do anything for anybody.  She's driven up to Michigan City from Louisville by herself lots of times just because somebody needed help, special care, or just a shoulder to lean on.  We're so lucky that she's part of our family and we're so happy we got to share at least part of this day with her!




1 comment:

Gentle, strong, kind or true, I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Short or long, it's up to you, your comments and thoughts really make my day!