Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Evan Graham

Today is Evan's 18th birthday.  Evan was our 6th grandchild (Emily beat him by two days) and our 4th grandson.
Evan is an important part of our large family.
And an even more important part of this smaller family!
Last night I called Evan to conduct a phone interview.  Here's how it went:  Hi Evan,  How are you? Fine
So since tomorrow is your birthday do you mind if we go ahead and do your interview tonight? Okay
Does 18 feel like a  milestone birthday at all?  Ummm, kind of but I don't think that I'm going to wake up feeling any different than I do today.
Why would you consider it a milestone birthday then?  Because it's 18 and there are social privileges that come with that.  You know, just societal changes.

Are you looking forward to graduating in a few short weeks?  Yes I am!
What have you liked best about your senior year?  That's a good question.  I'm not sure actually.  I have lots of new friends and a girlfriend that I've been with for four months now so it's been good.
What haven't you liked too much about it?   Graduation requirements like 72 hours of community service, 18 weeks of a job or 6 job shadows which include research and lots of paperwork, taking a college class and be certified in CPR.  We also had to do an informative opinion essay and a scrapbook which I did last year.
What are your plans for the upcoming year?   I plan to take my basic college courses in the fall at Pikes Peak Community College. 
And what career path are you interested in? Firefighting and acting.
Where do you see yourself in ten years?  In an apartment rehearsing.  In Colorado Springs?  Probably.  It feels like home to me here.
Do you have any special plans for tomorrow?  Yes.  I'm going to Red Robin with my family and my girlfriend, Cat.  Grant might come to town but he's not sure he can make it.

 
What's your favorite leisure-time activity?  Talking with my friends about video projects and short films that we like to do; and making music.
Are you interested in the military like your dad and Grant?   Maybe the reserves or something to help pay for college.
What's your favorite color?  Green
What's your favorite song?  Tribute by Tenacious D and The Last In Line by Dio
What can you tell us about yourself that we haven't covered so far?   One important thing that I learned in school is that to reach a consensus, you have to first understand yourself and then understand what the other person is thinking and feeling.  If you take everything personally and you're angry and take everything from your point of view, you don't get anywhere.   And if you want to reach a happier view on life you need to know how to reach a consensus. 
Also, I like to play the base guitar and I enjoy composing.  I've written quite a bit of music.
I like our pets, Chewy and Pewku.
Here's something we didn't cover in the interview, Evan.   I remember when you were very young, you told us over and over that all you really wanted... was to be a big brother.  When you were about nine years old, that dream came true for you.
How do you like actually being a big brother?   It is awesome!  I'm not sure if there is any better way to put it.  It's just amazing to watch your little sister grow up and it's also kind of scary because it seems like she's growing up so fast.
And one more thing.  I spent one summer with the Black Forest Fire Department before, during, and after the big Black Forest fire that hit Colorado Springs.   It was amazing to see how everyone wanted to help the firefighters and those whose homes were at stake.
And that pretty much concluded our interview but as always there's lots more I could say about Evan. From the day he was born, he's had a sweet, cheerful disposition!  He's creative and smart and always willing to lend a hand.  I don't think I've ever heard him say a bad thing about anybody and he's someone that we all always look forward to seeing.  Evan is a very important member of our family and we're wishing him the happiest of birthdays and a year that surpasses his wildest dreams!!!
And of course, all the amazing senior pictures were taken by the amazing Beth Fletcher of Beth Fletcher Photography!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gentle, strong, kind or true, I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Short or long, it's up to you, your comments and thoughts really make my day!