Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Sarah Jane

Sarah Jane's birthday was January 27th!
Sarah Jane is our 21st grandchild and 11th granddaughter!


She's a very important part of this large family although it's hard to see her in the picture since she's still in her mommy's belly
And, of course, a very important part of this wonderful family (and once again, hard to see her since she's still all cozy in Mommy's belly.
Since I wasn't there for much of Sarah Jane's existence in and out of the womb, I'm going to let her tell her story the way she remembers it.  Is that okay, Sarah Jane?  Sure, I've got it from here, Grandma!  What I remember most is being warm and cozy in my Mommy's belly.  I felt loved and secure and I looked forward to meeting the people who belonged to the voices that I so loved listening to.  Everything was pretty uneventful until around Christmas.  There was a big noisy party going on and all of a sudden everything got quiet because my mom had a special gift for my Aunt Sarah.
It started with Aunt Sarah reading a little poem.  She read,  "The physical gift you are about to receive, may seem a bit strange.  It's something you can't keep.
We'll take it home, and let it rest on our tree, but the meaning behind it will always be
At this point in time, you'll announce her name, which is only appropriate.....
Because she's
Sarah Jane."

After that, there wasn't a dry eye in the house and I was starting to realize how special I really was.
Things went along as before after that.  There were lots of doctor appointments and a few hospital visits but I still felt pretty secure until, all of a sudden, on January 27th, a door opened and I was out!
Obviously I wasn't real pleased about it at first but I soon got to see my mom and dad and that was awesome!  My Dad took lots of pictures of me and Mommy. 
And my world became all about goals,
and wires,
and strange garments and lights

I worked hard to gain weight
and get that breathing business figured out.
I could tell my mom and dad were proud of me and pleased with all my accomplishments but they did have a few anxious moments when the doctors did a special procedure involving intubation to help my breathing.
  They were led to a special waiting room and were comforted to see the rocking chair donated to the hospital NICU in memory of my brothers, James and Jake.  After that they knew the boys were looking out for me and I would be fine. 
And after that, my turnaround really was remarkable!
My mom was so proud of me!
and so was my dad!
and I was proud of me too.  Even though sometimes I just couldn't figure out some of the stuff they had me wearing.
And then I started nursing (like a pro - I guess because I loved it so much),
wearing clothes,
and sleeping in a big girl bed.
And then, the best moment of all - I was going home after just 10 days in the hospital!
It was really cool that the nurse who put the bracelet on my wrist when I was born, was the same one who cut it off so I could go home.
Then I got acquainted with my very own car seat
and enjoyed a quiet, happy, comfy ride home.
When I got home, I was pretty worn out
but I had a busy afternoon ahead.  I was finally going to meet the people that belonged to the voices I'd been listening to.






And that was wonderful.  I think Mommy and Daddy might have had a long night because I had a really hard time staying awake for my meals but boy, I'd had a really long and eventful day.  And that's my story. 
 Now here's Grandma.  Thanks, Sarah Jane!  What a wonderful story but I do have a little more to add.
From the very beginning, Sarah Jane has been amazing and full of surprises.  She turns her head to see who's talking and Beth says she nurses like a 3-month-old.  We're so happy that she's here and healthy and we're looking forward to watching her grow.  Although it's hard to believe she could get any cuter and prettier than she is already.  So Sarah Jane, happy 0 birthday!  Sorry your post is a little late but I was waiting til you got home!  We love you so very much and are so happy that you've joined our family.

2 comments:

  1. What a fantastic, wonderful narrative from Sarah! Welcome beautiful baby! We've really enjoyed reading about your journey so far. Oh yes, and thanks, Mary for being the special spokesperson you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet and special post for a sweet and special little girl. The part about James and Jake's rocker made me tear up. How very special.

    ReplyDelete

Gentle, strong, kind or true, I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Short or long, it's up to you, your comments and thoughts really make my day!