Monday, June 8, 2009

Mail Box

I've been away, but I'm happy to say that I'm back.

And I have something to write about.

Last night, Mr. Right stepped outside to smoke but turned right back into the house and said, "It looks like somebody dumped a bunch of garbage in the front yard." And he went out.

Soon he came back in to get his wallet. It seems that the garbage strewn all over the front yard was our mailbox, its splintered post, and a lot of car parts. When he was looking it over, a policeman pulled up and asked if he was the one that called in. Mr. Right said no he hadn't and the policeman said that someone called about an incident in our area.

Anyway, someone had sideswiped the street light pole adjoining our property and then swerved or fishtailed in and took out the mailbox. There were pieces of car at least 25 feet from the point of impact so that guy must have been flying!

At about 1:45 a.m. a second policeman arrived to take pictures. At 2 a.m. I got up, having not slept yet to see where Mr. Right was. He was outside taking pictures of the damages.

At 5:15 a.m. the phone rang and it was the police officer letting us know that they had caught the culprit, put him in jail and impounded the car.

The upshot is that we didn't get any sleep to speak of but we do have a new mailbox that Mr. Right put up just tonight. (And in all honesty we needed a new mailbox.)

It sounds silly but I feel bad for the culprit. I almost feel like the police overreacted. I wonder what causes me to feel that way.

Here's the little path of destruction.

It's really not that bad and I'm glad to get that new box. I just hope the neighbor from a block or two away doesn't blame us for what happened to him.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your excitement, but I'm so glad you are back. I've missed you. Did you get my thank you email?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be happy he was in jail, just because if someone had been standing by the mailbox, it could've been a whole lot worse! But maybe I am just a whole lot less forgiving than you.;)
    Thank you SO much for the Hope St print. Beth gave it to me Saturday night, and it is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Gentle, strong, kind or true, I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Short or long, it's up to you, your comments and thoughts really make my day!