Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Shrinking Jeans - 21 Day Challenge

Well here it is. My new button for the Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans. I was told that this would be a good time to join because a new challenge starts today and I think this challenge is absolutely perfect for me. It's about establishing three healthy habits. Since a habit is supposed to be born in 21 days, the theory is that all we have to do is stick to our commitment to do these three healthy things for that length of time and viola - three good habits will be born.

Sisterhood 21-Days Challenge

I started Weight Watchers (again) on the 19th. Right now I weigh 6.4 lbs less than I did then. I know I can do this because I've done it before but what I can't seem to do is make it a way of life so my three habits are going to deal with that challenge.

Before on Weight Watchers, I would dedicate myself to finding the largest volume of food possible with the fewest number of points. This involved all kinds of creativity and exploration. And when you find 'no point bread' and no point cold cuts, you eat as much of it as you can so that you don't suffer too much.

Now I'm finally realizing that eating like this cannot be a way of life -at least not for me. I want to eat foods that I enjoy and feel satisfied after eating - I just want to eat less of them.

So my first new, good habit will be to eat the same foods I've always eaten - just less of them while keeping careful track of the points.

My next goal will be to get at least 30 minutes of exercise every single day. For a person, who less than a year ago, walked 6 hours every day, 30 minutes should not be a big deal; but, since I've let exercise become a thing of the past I'm going to start with a goal of exercising AT LEAST 30 minutes a day.

Now for the hardest habit of all for me to establish. I'm going to get more sleep. I like to get up every morning and get Mr. Right's lunch together but to do that, I have to be moving at 6:30. Since we never, EVER go to bed before 12:30, and usually it's later, I'm tired and dragged out all day. And when I'm tired and dragged out, I don't feel like exercising and I start getting fidgety about food and nibbling and suffering. I honestly believe that my body is insisting that I eat something to compensate for how tired I am.

So my new, good habit number three is to be in bed by midnight every night. If I can do that for 21 days and I still feel tired, I'll back bedtime up another 15 minutes. And I'll keep doing that until I've got it right.

Okay, so there you have it. My trinity of weight-loss tools: count the points in the normal food that I eat, exercise 30 minutes a day, and get enough sleep so that I will have the will power to do the first two.

I'm excited to join shrinking jeans. I read the posts of lots of present members and I'm always inspired. Now maybe by not lurking and by joining in, I can be an inspiration too some day.


6 comments:

  1. YAY, Mrs. H!!!!! I'm so glad you joined us! Congratulations on starting Weight Watchers, although I had to laugh at how you used to do things! I used to do the exact thing, cramming as much low and zero points items into my diet as possible. The bad thing is that most of those things are what you want or need, and sometimes they are just empty foods with no real value. You nailed it on the head when you said you have to still eat the foods you enjoy, just less of them. I've finally figured that out myself. If you don't do it that way, you'll just be miserable, and you won't learn a stinkin' thing!

    Best of luck to you on ALL of your new goals. I'm so excited that you and Nancy and Rhonda are going to start a walking club. Wish I were closer so I could join you gals :)

    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, look at you joining the Sisterhood. I am so proud of you. I think you are going to love it. I sure do. I was just going to do my post for the new challenge and saw that you had joined. Your three habits are almost the same as mine. We really are an awful lot alike. Next time there is a team challenge, we'll have to see if we can beg enough to get you, Rhonda and I on the same team. Okay, I have to get this post done, so I can start doing my You Capture for tomorrow. Remember, no silk flower pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, Mom! I think you're on the right track and you are going to do great! I'm so glad you have so much support there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome aboard Mary! The Sisterhood is amazing and its so encouraging to have support from ladies going thru the same thing as we are!

    Congrats on your WW loss so far...may it be just the beginning of your new healthier lifestyle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome, Mom! The Sisterhood is a great source of information and support - I'm so happy you are now a part of it!

    Great job on the loss so far!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you joining. You are way ahead of me. I joined but didn't blog about it. I have had a really busy week and that's my excuse. You have realistic goals and similiar to the ones I set for myself. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete

Gentle, strong, kind or true, I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Short or long, it's up to you, your comments and thoughts really make my day!