Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Happy Birthday, Dane

Yesterday our second great grandson, Dane, turned 3 years old and we drove a little over 200 miles each way to celebrate with him. There's not the slightest doubt that sharing his birthday with him was worth every single mile.

A little while ago, I conducted a phone interview with him with his mom as interpreter.  Here's how it went.

Yesterday was your birthday.  How old are you?  Three.
Do you feel bigger now?  Yep.
What did you do on your birthday?  I played golf at Putt Putt and I drove a race car and I saw the pirate at Putt Putt but I didn't like him.

What did you get for your birthday?  Ummm presents.
What kind?  A pirate suit and a bat and a golf thing and a basketball thing and a buzz thing and a minion.

Who's your best friend?  Daddy and Jack

And my favorite animal is the tiger.

What's your favorite color?  Green.  What do you like that's green?  Paint, a spider with a red thing and stripes.  (He recently had a green spider painted on his cheek)

What's your favorite toy?  Buzz and I want a Buzz bike.

What's your favorite food?  Apples.  And chicken nuggets.  I thought you liked mac and cheese.  Yeah macaroni and cheese and chicken nuggets.

How did you get so big already.  'Cause I just growed up in my bed.  Lookit.  I'm so big.  

(Last night when we asked how he'd gotten so big already, he said it was because he ate vegetables.  When Amber reminded him that he didn't eat vegetables very well, he said he did at Grandma's. 
And that pretty well concluded our interview which I thought went pretty well since he's only just three.  However, as usual there are a couple of things I want to add.

First of all, a lot of people - especially little people - get nervous when they hear that noisy group coming to shout a happy birthday to them in a restaurant but not Dane.  Here's how he reacted from the moment he heard them coming.

 
 

We'd been to this restaurant twice recently for birthday celebrations so he knew exactly what to expect and no one has ever enjoyed it more.

Then I want to mention that we got him the pirate outfit and, although he seems to really enjoy the dress-up box at our house and Amber says he likes to play construction guy roles, etc at home, we weren't sure how he'd take to the pirate getup.  And at first he was a little tentative:
 
But once he got the whole thing on, he not only looked the part but he acted it too.  I've never seen a sweeter little pirate.
As soon as he said "Aaargh, Captain", I knew we were home free.
So we're wishing this authentic little pirate an awesome year.  He's not only a sweet pirate, but he's smart, fun, affectionate, and a joy to be around.  
Happy Birthday, Dane!  We love you so much!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Gentle, strong, kind or true, I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Short or long, it's up to you, your comments and thoughts really make my day!