Monday, January 26, 2015

Anna Helen

Yesterday was our granddaughter, Anna's, 12th birthday.
Anna was born in Chicago and spent her first days in the NICU.
She is an important part of this large family.
And an even more important part of this smaller family.
Today I conducted a phone interview with Anna and here's how it went.
Hi Anna!  I'm sorry we're a day late doing your interview.  It's okay.
So how was your birthday?  Good.
Can you tell us a little about it?  Well, I finally got to see Jenna.  (Jenna is Anna's cousin
and they go way back....
no, I mean really far back.)
I got a lot of stuff that I really wanted. And I had a lot of fun.
What was your favorite part of the whole weekend?  I'm not sure.  That would be really hard.
And how does it feel to be 12 years old?  Good!  How is it different from 11?  I just like saying that I'm 12 instead of 11.  
Do you have any goals for the coming year?  Probably to read more and to get straight A's which I"ve done twice so far.
Do you like school?  Yeah, except for homework.
What do you like about it?  I like that we have more freedom and we have lockers and the teachers are really crazy and you see your friends a lot.
What's not so great about it.  The homework and the tests.
And your favorite subject?  Does Band count?  Sure!  Band.

 What's your favorite recreational activity?  Rainbow Loom
Your favorite sport?  Softball
and swimming. 
How long have you been swimming?  Since 2010 I think.  I hear you're pretty good at it.  What's your favorite swim stroke?  I think the backstroke.
And what did you think of spending Christmas week in Gulf Shores?  It was my favorite one.  We were all together and on the go and going to the beach everyday which we could never do this time of year in Michigan City.  (Anna is second from the right.)
What do you think you will be doing 10 years from now?  I think I might be in college because I'm going to be a Meteorologist. 
How many best friends do you have?  A lot!  What do you like best about them?  I like that they're funny, outgoing, and understanding.  And that I can trust them and they trust me. 
What is your happiest memory?  I think it's probably....I don't know.  Maybe the One Direction concert...or Gulf Shores....or New York.
What do you like best about being a kid?  You have a lot of opportunities and if you're not perfect, it's kind of okay because people don't expect you to be.  You get to enjoy life and do a lot of things and change yourself if things aren't really going too well.
What do you love most about your siblings?  I like that they're fun and loving and if one of us does something wrong you don't feel too mad at them because they're your sibling.
What brings you the most happiness?  Seeing people happy after I've done something for them.
What can you tell us about yourself that we haven't talked about yet?  I don't know.....I like to collect hand sanitizers.  Sometimes I like to do my nails.  And I like to do gymnastics.  Is that something you'd like to get back into some day?  Yeah, I'd like to do it again.  (And, yes, I stole this picture directly from Beth's Facebook post.  I had to.  It's too perfect.)
And there are many more wonderful and interesting things I could tell you about Anna but one of my favorites is that she's so sweet to her brothers and sister.  Oh, and her dog.
Plus she's helpful and loving and smart.  And she's growing sweeter and lovelier everyday and I wouldn't have thought at was possible.  So Anna we're wishing you a year that surpasses all others but is only half as awesome as the many, beautiful years to come!





1 comment:

  1. I agree that Anna is a sweetheart. She's definitely not my little preschooler anymore. I do love your birthday posts.

    ReplyDelete

Gentle, strong, kind or true, I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Short or long, it's up to you, your comments and thoughts really make my day!