Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Is It The Difference Between A Brother and A Husband?

I was walking on a trail in Dunes State Park the other day and I tripped on a root and bit the dust. Ouch! I'm sure glad nobody saw that! If nobody saw it, it's almost like it never really happened which reminds me of the age old question:

If a man talks in the woods where no woman can hear him, is he still wrong?

Anyway, back to my fall. It really was as if it didn't happen except that I have a big mouth and I shared the story. First I shared it with my brother who I love dearly. His reaction was predictable. "You sure fall a lot", he said. He looked kind of embarrassed for me and very incredulous like he just couldn't figure out what could be wrong with me. I explained that there are scads of hidden, semi-hidden, and obvious roots in the paths in Dunes State Park, especially on this path. Picture him still looking incredulous, embarrassed and bewildered. Oh well. I shouldn't have told him.

Just so YOU believe me, check out this picture I took of a path out there. Look especially at the foreground:


Later on I casually mentioned to Mr. Right that I had fallen in the Dunes that day. He didn't blink an eye, as he said, "That's what I don't like about you walking out there. All those roots".

It was enough to make me cry. He had such faith in me. He didn't assume I was a klutz or a freak or a scatterbrain. He assumed that I tripped on a hidden root.

And he was right.

4 comments:

  1. I can imagine that I would have gotten the same comments from my husband and brother. Hope you are okay. I just started reading your other daughters blog last night. I was cracking up when I started reading yours after her post yeasterday. Like mother like daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, does it? I think we just have too much on our minds to concentrate on every step we take...I remember feeling excited to tell MJ about my night and couldn't wait to slide down the steps to tell him lol.

    those roots out there are nasty, I know both Amy and I have taken a tumble or two out there when we were running.

    be careful! it's a jungle out there!

    (and you should take 'brother' out there with you for a walk and see how he fairs) hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely can vouch for you, I have actually fallen MANY times out there, that was the only thing I didn't like about walking/running out there. It seemed the minute I took my eyes off the trail to look at a deer or bird, I would fall...always. Yes, I think maybe if your brother went out and exercised out there, he would find that it would be EASY to trip over one. I'm sure of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Lori - take him out there and make him walk really fast...

    I love the sweetness of this post, the sweetness between you and Dad, made me all choked up. I'm not even kidding.

    ReplyDelete

Gentle, strong, kind or true, I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Short or long, it's up to you, your comments and thoughts really make my day!