Monday, February 1, 2010

Get Under The Car!

Disclaimer: This post is not about texting so don't skip it just because of the first paragraph. If you have to, skip that paragraph. Just be sure to read the rest of the post.

A couple of months ago I wrote a post about a terrible accident that inconvenienced us on our way home from Louisville. Although in this post I hinted at several possible causes of the accident, I was really being generous because in my heart of hearts I suspected and feared that texting was involved. I felt compelled to write about it because I think it's the cause of many, many serious accidents and it's SO preventable. (And, sorry girls, but I think today's modern young women with more on their plates than their mothers would ever understand are the most guilty. Just sayin') Also, I know that many of us have great confidence in our ability to text while driving. We'd NEVER do it if there were the SLIGHTEST chance that there could be an accident ESPECIALLY one that might hurt our kids. We KNOW we can handle it because we've done it so often and so carefully and we've never ever had an accident while doing it.......yet. Most of us would have to admit that there have been close calls but, because of our care and alertness and skill, we were able to avoid anything really happening.

Now, I'm climbing down off that soapbox because that's not what this post is about. This post is about yet another possible cause of a lot of auto accidents that most of us are completely in the dark about. So PLEASE, watch this:

And if you didn't watch it all the way to the end, please go back and do so because some of the most important stuff you need to hear and see are past the middle of the segment.

It could save your life or that of someone you love. And, I think you'll want to pass it on to everyone you care about after you've seen it.

So, have your Mr. Right or your dad, your brother, your neighbor or your good friend get under there and check it out. And if you just can't find a guy to do it, do it yourself. You're just as capable. The only reason I suggested getting a guy to do it in the first place is because they like to get under cars. Really! All guys do.

And then I'm thinking when we buy tires we need to be able to look at the set that's going to be put on so that we can check that secret code ourselves. That we can do because women like to read secret codes. Really! All women do.

Okay, that's it. Let's start a no texting but always checking rule for our cars. The life we save may be one we love.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is some shocking information. I hate that it takes the US so long to get on board with something that WILL save lives.

    I better go crawl under my car now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good info....and yes so scary to think of things that we have no idea are such a danger!

    ReplyDelete

Gentle, strong, kind or true, I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Short or long, it's up to you, your comments and thoughts really make my day!