Monday, September 14, 2009

Not To Be Boring With The Fish Again BUT

We finished with our fish rearranging project. The biggest of the baby koi had the cleanest, freshest little pond to swim in that you ever saw. It had to look like a universe compared to what they had been living in. We had about 13 of our biggest babies in there and of course they were doing a good job of hiding in their protection tunnel and among the rocks so I was looking for them WHEN I saw something land on the net that we have over the pond to protect them.

But first, let me show you what I'm talking about when I'm talking about protecting them.

Here is the tunnel that we built with our bare hands so they'd have a place to hide from evil predators.


Here is the net that we covered them with lovingly and anchored it securely on all sides so that nothing could harm them at all.

Here is the heron that we bought even though we aren't fond of them but we had heard that they're so territorial that if another heron saw this heron guarding our pond, he'd pass on by and forget about eating our baby koi.

So imagine my dismay when I saw a frog that I had startled jump unto the net, wriggle around a little bit, and plop cheerfully into the pond. And we had the hardest time catching him. We actually had to dismantle the cave before we could get him out.

So we did a little research on the internet and the general consensus seems to be that frogs will eat fish but only when they're really tiny........like ours. Whether or not he ate most or even any of the little guys, we probably won't know for some time but I'm just saying. How do we stay ahead of all the things that could happen?

I've seen as many as 6 at once of the 13 babies that we put in there and the rest may have been hiding. But at any rate, I'm up for this challenge. It's me against all the enemies of tiny baby koi fry. And I intend to win!

But don't worry. I'm not taking it THAT seriously. I know after all, that they're just fish.

3 comments:

  1. These fish sure do keep you hopping. Have you ever been to Potawatami Zoo in South Bend? My daughter and son-in-law took the grandkids there today and they said they a huge koi pond. At least they thought they were koi. You would be the expert to go and check it out. They said it's great zoo. The kids loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I take it you haven't caught that darned frog that so cheerfully hopped into your pond?? How naughty. Well, even though they are "just fish", I really hope Kermit didn't eat any of them. I'm just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your fish posts, because it makes Luke really happy to look at the "fishie" pictures. So keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete

Gentle, strong, kind or true, I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Short or long, it's up to you, your comments and thoughts really make my day!