Wednesday, September 9, 2009

What It Does To You When Life Throws You A Curve

As I discussed in my last post, we lost my dad this week. It was as unexpected as the death of a 95-year-old can be. He was a long way from 'in great health' but we thought he had at least a year or two left. (His dad lived to be 100.) Anyway, I called that 'Life Throwing Me A Curve". But life wasn't done throwing curves there.

After the funeral we had two cataclysmic, completely unexpected, defying all odds events that have left us all reeling. Beth briefly alluded to them here but felt she couldn't discuss them in detail. And I can't either. Just trust me when I say that it rocked our world and probably will for a long time. I'm sorry to be so obtuse but there's no choice. The reason I'm bringing it up at all is that I need some help.

One of my daughters today pointed out that when something happens that somehow you felt some immunity to, it leaves you feeling vulnerable to a lot of terrible things in life that you were hopeful couldn't or wouldn't touch you. And you feel uneasy all the time. The unexpected might be just around the corner after all.

So with one son in the middle of live-fire training out in the field for the entire week and the other son heading for a terrible place where the evil people there find increasingly cowardly ways to kill our sons, brothers, friends, etc. I'm looking for your prayers.

You can't beat the power of prayer and I'm asking for yours. Please pray for our boys and for all the boys in dangerous situations even when they're not deployed. Please help make this uneasy feeling go safely away not just for me but for all the moms, wives, sisters, and girlfriends of these brave guys.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for asking for all of the extra prayers, Mom....I just feel like we need them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely Mary!! You, your sons and all the other sons are in my prayers. I hope this can help to make you feel less uneasy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your family definitely have my prayers as do all of those who are in harm's way every day. I pray that you find peace from this feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will keep your family and boys in prayer. Especially for their safety and your peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Mary. You have my heart and prayers this week, and for as long as you need them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post...it's put into to words so eloquently what has been on my mind and in my heart.

    Sending you prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am praying- daily, nightly- any way that I can possibly pray. I heard from Dan tonight- he is well, tired, and looking forward to resting Saturday! As always- he sound so good. :) I hope good news follows for the rest of the fam. If it makes you feel any better- we've seen double rainbows consistently within the last two weeks here in gorgeous CO. I take all of them in that I can get and put them on reserve! :) As always, much love- T

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been thinking about you and your whole brood. I'm so sorry for your loss, I am praying, too.

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like Steph, I've been thinking of you and your family so much after this past weekend. You have my thoughts and prayers and love, always.

    ReplyDelete

Gentle, strong, kind or true, I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Short or long, it's up to you, your comments and thoughts really make my day!