Saturday, July 10, 2010

Muskrat's Aren't Cute

If you are old enough, and I realize most blog readers aren't, you'll remember that one of the worst popular songs ever recorded according to some people was Muskrat Love by Captain and Tennille. This song pretty much romanticized the love life of muskrats.




Now maybe that's how city muskrats carry out their romances but I'm here to tell you it's different for the hard-working small town muskrats. AND, I have proof.

I spotted this guy swimming at Striebel Pond which is not unusual at all. What is unusual is to be on a bridge right above him with such a clear view of him.

Then I was surprised to see him leave the water and actually start walking on dry land. I never see them on dry land. That's why I continue to walk at Striebel Pond. Once I spotted the muskrat, that I thought looked a lot like a regular rat, I became curious about where he was going and what he was doing. Naturally pictures were in order.

It appeared that he was gathering something.

Yep, no doubt about it. He had a giant mouthful of weeds and grass and he was headed back to the water (where he belongs).

Work work work. He was so busy. He got to the water and kept right on going.

So I did a little research and I found out that muskrats actually build dens, much like beavers, that are complete with dry chambers and underwater tunnels. They also build ventilation holes which are hidden at the surface by branches and vegetation. That explains the mouthful of weeds, right?

Then I saw her. This must be the reason for all his work. Ahhhh! True love ways.

Isn't it cute how she can just sit back and watch while he does all the work?

But then I read this: Muskrats have a high reproductive rate, producing up to four litters per year with six to seven young per litter! And, they're polygamous.

That kind of shoots that whole romantic notion of muskrat love, doesn't it. And I realized that Mr. Muskrat wasn't building a cottage for he and his wife, he was building on to his sprawling dens of iniquity because muskrats are promiscuous and licentious.

And most alarming of all I read that high populations of muskrats can make the habitat less suitable to other species which could spell doom for most of the Striebel Pond wildlife.

The immoral muskrat soon disappeared from sight.

And I'm absolutely positive that there's nothing endearing about muskrat love.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the chuckles this morning. "Naturally pictures were in order" is absolutely right. I'm glad you got so many pics. I'd never even seen a muskrat until recently, and had no idea they were do destructive AND low-down-dirty-dogs in the romance department. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a cute, informative story! The pictures are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was little, my babysitter lived near a draining stream for the Mississippi (it helps low lying areas flood less in case the river goes up or it rains a lot). She was so paranoid about muskrats because they were often rabid so she instilled the fear of muskrats in us so that if we saw one we'd immediately run inside and not go out the rest of the day. Funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a lot of blog reading and commenting to catch up on since vacation. I love this post. I remember that song very well. I can't wait to visit this pond with you and Nancy. We need to set a date, soon!

    ReplyDelete

Gentle, strong, kind or true, I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Short or long, it's up to you, your comments and thoughts really make my day!