Thursday, September 2, 2010

You Capture - Mornings

The things I do for Beth and her You Capture! Tuesday morning I couldn't sleep because I knew I needed to get up and capture some very early morning pictures for this week's challenge. The times on my pictures are all off by one hour because when I returned from Michigan a couple of weeks ago, I forgot to reset the time on my camera.

I got up about 5:15 and had to wait about a half hour for there to be enough light and enough color to start my project. While I fried hamburgers for Mr. Right to take in his lunch, I kept stepping out to the backyard in my pajamas to see what I could get.

When I didn't think the colors seemed true enough in my camera's review screen, I tried switching lenses. It made a difference but I'm not sure for the better.

After Mr. Right left for work, I headed around to the front of the house where I liked how the sun coming up and shining through the trees actually seemed to turn some of the leaves red.

Then I threw on some clothes, dragged a comb across my head, and headed to Striebel Pond to see what goes on out there in the very early mornings. As soon as I started my walk, I caught this shot.

Then I spotted the swans and was chagrined to see that the kids were still sleeping and Mom & Dad were just beginning to stir.

I headed to the bridge from which I often shoot and saw the geese and ducks were stretching, honking, quacking and generally starting their morning toilette.

Around the northeast end of the pond I saw the sun shining on the flag from a different direction than I'd observed before so I snapped it.

And before I completed my walk, I saw that the sun was already obscured by clouds but it still made for a pretty morning photo.

Visit Beth at Ishouldbefoldinglaundry to see what other people do in the mornings; or better yet, take some photos and show us what you do in the mornings.

18 comments:

  1. I love watching the sun rise (even though I might not love getting up that early!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, beautiful shots! Particularly loving the third shot- got some great light going on there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice!

    I like both geese shots best. The light in the first geese shot is awesome. And while the second is good, I think it would have been better if you were zoomed out a bit so we could see more of the marsh grass which always looks very interesting in the early morning light.

    I love the colors in the flag picture. Sky shots have always been some of the most challenging for me as far as getting the settings right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! It's good to know it was worth getting up so early because the shots are awesome. It's fun to see all of the swans, geese, ducks and whatnot getting up and going in the morning. It's funny that the kids were either still sleeping or sitting in front of the TV watching cartoons with a bowl of cereal. lol The cloud pics all were beautiful. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really, really beautiful shots!

    And you are one dedicated wife to be frying burgers at 5 in the morning, I would have been like, here's 2 bucks, there's a McDonald's down the road. FOR REAL.

    I love that the baby swans were still sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I love the shot of the sun coming up pover the horizion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. aww look at the sleeping swans, just precious. Love the sky shots. Mornings are beautiful when you get that watercolor effect with the blues and pinks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous Gorgeous! I love the sunrise (the shot that you first caught) just divine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh such beautiful morning shots....love the ones of the swans!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely. And you know you're up early when the animals are still sleeping...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Forget the fact that you got up to take photographs! What about cooking hamburgers at that hour of the morning! Now that's going above and beyond the call of duty, I'd say.
    These are amazing photographs. I'm so glad I've found so many wonderful people who like to share their shots.
    I'll be joining you from You Capture.
    Weezer
    at
    Weezer's Haven

    ReplyDelete
  12. quite lovely shots - I would never be able to do that - I don't like mornings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I knew I would find some type of bird in a pond here! Lovely light you found.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the ones where the sun is peaking thru the trees. Nice morning shots.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You added one with more grass! :-)

    It looks even richer with the white fence behind it. Thanks for the super-sweet comment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely breathtaking shots. I have a question for you. How did you get your winners button to work? I can't get it to work for me.

    ReplyDelete

Gentle, strong, kind or true, I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Short or long, it's up to you, your comments and thoughts really make my day!