Saturday, November 20, 2010

BFFs

Today I've spent some time musing about how lucky I am to have a few of my grandchildren close by. It seems like I've spent almost as much time with Eli as I did with Lori's kids before they moved away and with Amy's kids when they actually lived with us. And, I'm enjoying it so much.

The best thing about it is that he usually looks as happy to see me as I am to see him. We've gained a deep understanding where he can tell me with his eyes what it is he wants. He'll play happily on the floor with the toys I've staged all around him until he reaches a little too far and ends up lying down. He's not keen on the lying down so he tries to do a sit up to right himself but he can't. That's when he looks at me - like this:

which means, "Grandma, can you give me a hand?".

So, I help him up and re-stage his toys so they're all interesting again. He once again plays happily

but eventually he's going to reach too far -

And once again, I get 'the look' -

If I don't respond right away, he might get a little anxious

And I get the message, sit him up, and maybe even give him a little treat to eat -

He forgives me, enjoys his treat, and we're right back where we started. Everything is copacetic and I'm grateful to be spending wonderful time with him.

Sometimes though, he tips over and doesn't even care to be upright. He finds something much more interesting to play with and chew on.

But for awhile, I get to be BFFs with Eli. He likes me better than ANYBODY. It's awesome.

Then his mother - or even his sister or brother or dad - or perhaps a neighbor - walks in the room and reality sets in. Eli is just a friendly little boy who loves everybody.

That's okay. Like I said, for awhile we were BFFs. And that was so fun!

6 comments:

  1. Of course he likes you best. Who wouldn't! We are so lucky to be able to see the grandkids like we do. I'm sorry all of yours can't be as close as Eli. I love the pictures. He is getting so big and is as cute as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a sweet post. My parents have been able to spend more time with my kids than with their other grandkids just because we live so close, and I know the extra time means the world to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cute post, he's such a good boy and absolutely adores his Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww, he does look like he thinks you guys are best friends. I'm sure you are, all of the grandkids just adore their Grandma! You are lucky to be able to hang out with him so much, he's such a good boy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I smiled through this entire post. What a great way to put it (I'm enjoying some BFF time this weekend, too). And the pics are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post! And the photos are adorable. (Great meeting you the other day. I was the one from Chicago who went to college with Jennifer Helen.)

    ReplyDelete

Gentle, strong, kind or true, I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Short or long, it's up to you, your comments and thoughts really make my day!