Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Squirrels

It's my own fault. I bragged to my brother that I hadn't seen a squirrel around in days. We walked out the back door to look at the pond and he said, "There's a squirrel right there". Of course it raced around to the back of the tree, knowing there was nothing I could do about it.

Now if I had a real squirrel problem, I might get a Hav-A-Hart trap. I might catch them live and take them over 13 miles away to a really, really large outdoor area where there are no homes within miles. I might take along cut up fruit and squirrel food so that they'd have some resource for nourishment while they adjusted to their new area.

A squirrel might look like this as he scampered (or raced in terror) from his confines.

I've seen squirrels take off like that for that very reason. Then if I continued to have the problem with the irritating rodents dangling incessantly from my bird feeder and keeping all the birds away as they scrounge up every morsel that falls to the ground, I might re-set that Hav-A-Hart trap and start the process all over again.

And I might get really stubborn and just keep going to see how squirrel-free I could make my neighborhood. And I might get really lucky like this person did.

Then I would actually be able to save a trip - if this were to ever happen for me.

And if I did all this, maybe the squirrels would be really lucky too because some people suggest they should be shot or poisoned - not relocated and fed. So there could potentially be luck all around.

So I'll have to consider whether or not I'd want to take on a project like this. I've heard of people relocating 40 or 50 squirrels. That surely made their neighborhood a pleasanter and cleaner place to be.

I should really think about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gentle, strong, kind or true, I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Short or long, it's up to you, your comments and thoughts really make my day!