Friday, March 19, 2010

So Many


I wrote a post the other day about my overwhelming sadness that my son was going to go to a combat zone for a year. I couldn't bear the thought of him being away from his family for so long and I couldn't bear that he was going to a dangerous place.

Beth tweeted about it and wrote about it and mentioned my post in her post.

Since then, there have been so many comments, so many comforting words, and so many good wishes. From so many people in the same boat or even worse boats and from so many people that just appreciate what he does and feel empathy for the impact it has on him and his family.

Don't get me wrong. I am still indescribably sad to have him over there but my heart is comforted by the words of so many.

So many people offered virtual "hugs" and I felt like I could feel them. They offered prayers and those prayers became my prayers. And they offered love and my heart was filled with love. They reminded me of how proud I can be of my son and his values. And expressed gratitude for what he and so many other men do for us and our country. And, most of all, one after another, let me know that they were thinking warm and loving thoughts of our family right now. And I felt them all.

After a very long trip, he arrived there about five hours ago and as Amy T said in her comment, "Big hugs and allow yourself to be sad at first, than throw all that sadness out the window and focus all your energy on care packages and letters and love for your soldier! Thank you to your son for defending our freedoms" And I have to say that Amy T nailed it. She expressed everything I knew but forgot to think about and more.

But that doesn't take away from the reminders of faith and prayerful good wishes of everybody else.

I doubt that very few could know what an impact your comments had - not just on me but on our entire family.

So thank you to everyone that thought of us or commented or said a prayer. But I have bad news. I think we're going to have to do this again soon. When, over the phone, I cried on the shoulder of second born Army son (firstborn's identical twin), and told him that he better not be going anywhere, he reluctantly told me that he would be leaving for Afghanistan this summer or just before Christmas.

I hope you'll all hover nearby because I (and my entire family) am going to need you sorely when there are two of them deployed. Then I'll really have something to cry about.

It reminds me of my dad when I was little. He'd think my crying over some small thing was uncalled for and would often say, "stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about".

When the day comes that they're both deployed, I'll go back over the comments that you've left on that post and I'll think about the wise, supportive, comforting words of such a multitude of beautiful people. And I'll be comforted.

And I'll thank you all from the bottom of my heart once again.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Mary. I had just read Beth's tweet that Dan arrived safely when I saw you had a new post. I only have a small inkling of what you are going through. My nephew did a tour there a few years ago. I think that you just have to believe that there is a gaurdian angel on Dan's shoulder who is going to keep him safe and get him home safely. That is my prayer for you and your family. Love and big hugs coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well we will be praying with you again and always through this time of seperation.

    I would like to share a verse with you that sits on my kitchen counter as I travel this journey of healing after losing a baby way to early. I know we are not walking the same road but scripture really helps me in my times of need, worry , anxiety, etc.

    Those who plant in tears will harvest Shouts of JOY. They weep as they plant their seed, but they sing as they return with harvest. psalm 126:5-6.

    I can only imagine the singing of JOY that will happen when your harvest returns. What a glorious sound it will be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary:

    No words can ever heal the pain you are going through, but just know they so many are praying for you and your entire familly daily...I wish I knew the exact words to say to comfort you, but please know that you raised two wonderful men, who put their lives on the line every day for our country..Thank you to them, to you, their families and all the military people.

    I will continue to pray and will do the same with Dave is deployed. Why does this happen? Two brothers should not be in war zones at the same time..It just does not seem fair to anyone.

    Please try and think of the positives, and know that so many people are praying for your family..

    Hugs to you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I just can't stand the thought of it. I know somehow our family will get through this with plenty of prayers. I can't wait until the day comes when they are both home again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Mary-I am so glad that some of these words and comments have made their way thru the interweb and into your heart. You have touched so many of us with the stories and birthday posts, it is genuine the concern and care that we feel for your family.

    Don't worry, the prayers and support will keep coming thruout the next year and longer if it is needed. Just don't be afraid to ask for a hug when you need one!

    Thanks for the sweet word about our St Patty's Day picture, he is my heart!

    ReplyDelete

Gentle, strong, kind or true, I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Short or long, it's up to you, your comments and thoughts really make my day!