Tuesday, March 30, 2010

My Heart Is Filled With Gratitude

Elijah Harrison was born yesterday morning at 6:46 a.m. He weighed 8 lbs 3 oz but the weight off my heart far exceeded eight pounds.

After we lost James and Jake a little over two years ago, I have been afraid for Beth and her family. We have a history of midterm and full term losses in our family that is greater than the law of averages and I was so afraid that Beth would never have another child. And when she got pregnant I was even more afraid that she would suffer another loss and I didn't know how she (or any of us) would get through it.

The only bad thing about being a mother is that sometimes we have to endure our child's unhappiness and that is a painful feeling like no other.

But God has put all that behind us now. The pregnancy ended successfully yesterday morning at 6:46 a.m. when Elijah was born.

He's perfect and beautiful and (unlike his older siblings) won't spend even one minute in the neonatal intensive care unit. He's in the room with his glowing mother and loving father and that's just how it should be.

So right now, I thank God from the bottom of my heart for this gift, this miracle. I'm grateful beyond measure.

And you can see why. Here he is at one hour old:

And then bathed, dressed and rooming with his mom at about four hours:

I have to go now. I have some one important to see and hold in my arms. Oh, and I'm going to hold Eli too.

8 comments:

  1. I think your feelings and fears echo what so many of us in our family were feeling but just couldn't say it out loud. Yesterday was a BLESSING and he is such a perfect and beautiful baby. I just can't wait to come back and see him again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES. I think so many of us breathed a sigh of relief yesterday. Eli is beautiful and perfect and Beth is truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please excuse my stupidity in deleting my first comment. Congratulations Mary. There were many of us who were relieved yesterday morning with the arrival of the very healthy and equally adorable Elijah. He is truly a blessing. Please give both Beth and Eli a hug for me. So my friend, one grandson down and one to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats, Mary. I am so glad that little Eli is healthy and surrounded by so much love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. he is amazingly beautiful and I cannot wait to see him!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful...what a blessing indeed. Congrats to all of your family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry for my lateness with this Congrats to you grandma Mary. I could not be more thrilled for you and the family on this blessing.

    ReplyDelete

Gentle, strong, kind or true, I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Short or long, it's up to you, your comments and thoughts really make my day!