Monday, October 12, 2009

"I Slipped and Had a Turrible Fall"

Do you remember these words from Chuck Berry's timeless song, My Ding-A-Ling? The words go on to say, "I fell so hard I heard bells ring but held onto my ding-a-ling-a-ling.

That's the song that kept going through my head after my turrible fall. I was catching the last of the tiny little dark colored, hard-to-see babies from the goldfish pond. I had just snagged the last two (at the time I thought only one of them) when my foot slipped on that wet liner and I fell. Hard. On the lovely rocks that are supposed to decorate the pond as well as provide hiding places for babies. My shoes and jeans were SOAKED with some really foul smelling water. I skinned my left elbow and several places on my right hand and I was pretty sure my left little finger was broken. But I held onto those two little babies in my net and that's all I thought about as I struggled to get out of that pond and to the pitcher where the babies needed to be deposited. Pronto!

I got those precious little entities into the water and went in the house to change clothes. Then I scrubbed all the places where the skin was broken as ruthlessly as I could. I put on dry clothes and went back out to retrieve the waiting babies.

And that crazy Chuck Berry song kept running through my head.

And, friends, that's the difference between falling when you're doing something you want to be doing and falling at work. Because when I fell at work, no song went through my head. I always felt angry, betrayed, and hurt.

I won't say I liked falling in that smelly pond because I didn't. All I'm saying is things sure look different from this perspective. And it's a perspective that I like.

Oh and, by the way, if you aren't familiar with the Chuck Berry song, My Ding-A-Ling, try to find a copy to hear because it's REALLY cute.

4 comments:

  1. One of my friends has a koi pond, and she went out in the winter to do something and ended up falling into the icy water. She was not happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I still hate hearing that you fell, but it is much better to hear when you're not working for that darn place! ....but I still hate it when you fall....(did I already say that?) I remember seeing you fall one time when we were little, and it is still a terrible memory. (maybe it was because you were falling over our toys in the living room)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't thought about that song in years. Now it's going to be going through my head the rest of the night. Sorry you fell, but glad you have a good attitude about it. I'm a faller too. I think I told you that before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh i love that song! but i don't love that you fell :( how is your little pinky?? It's quite fortuitus that your koi FINALLY spawned when you're able to care for them so dutifully.

    doesn't Amy always remember the traumatic things?? lol.

    ReplyDelete

Gentle, strong, kind or true, I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Short or long, it's up to you, your comments and thoughts really make my day!