Thursday, October 15, 2009

You Capture - Still Life

This, for me, was one of the hardest assignments ever. And it's so annoying that I tried to get special attention and assistance from our illustrious teacher, Beth, but it wasn't forthcoming. I was on my own.

If Beth's focus is to try to get us to use our cameras more creatively and more often, then she surely accomplished that this week with me. I took pictures of things that I NEVER would think of taking pictures of and I'm still not sure I've captured the essence of still life photography. I tried though. I really tried.

I started outside and kind of looked for story pictures. Is that what I was supposed to do? I don't know.
I'm not real sure this one qualifies either but it's life and they're still and I used natural light to try to show how the cold weather reflected in the grasses sends the koi into very still, very quiet stages of hibernation. Besides, you know I'm not ever going to pass up an opportunity to shoot some koi pictures no matter how big of a stretch it is.

Then I came in the house and tried to get really artistic. I wasn't but I looked for something beautiful, added light, and took some pictures. The next time still life is our assignment, I bet I'll do better.

Speaking of better. If you want to see some really beautiful still life photography, you'll find it here at Ishouldbefoldinglaundry. And if you haven't already joined in, I dare you to start now.

17 comments:

  1. I love the leaves in the birdbath. Something very peaceful about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cut flowers with the clippers. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just learning about still life too. My mom is an artist and I remember hearing about it but never paid attention. I love the last one, so simple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are REALLY good. I can see that creativity runs in your family! I like how you took pictures of these things just as they are. I kind of was like, "oh, that definitely looks like still life!" Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really great still life captures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pictures of your koi, it makes me sad that ours won't be swimming around begging me to feed them for a while...hate its so cold already though!

    Keep shooting, you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And the birdbath photo is really cool. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great captures. Love the one with the hydrangeas. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your shots! The birds are great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That fence one is captivating. Something about it really strikes me...is it that one "new"/"browner" piece?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the birdbath shot. Very serene!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you did a great job! Great stills.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great ones! =) I loved your first one so much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the floating leaves in the birdbath...beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  15. this was my first time and i'm so enjoying everyone's pictures! wow for someone who didn't know where to start, these are great! I love the shovel!

    ReplyDelete

Gentle, strong, kind or true, I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Short or long, it's up to you, your comments and thoughts really make my day!