Wednesday, July 1, 2009

It Really Doesn't Get Any Better Than This

Some of the family is here now. There are children around and grandchildren and a great grandchild. And there are more on the way. And my heart just swells with happiness that so many of us will be together for a couple of days. (Unfortunately not everybody could make it but I can't let that little bit of negativity take away from my happiness.)

So I'm puttering around trying to clear away every bit of clutter because we'll need all the room we can get. I'm planning lunch, cutting a canteloupe, looking forward to Beth, Ariel, and Racecar's arrival and thinking about where Second Born Army Guy and his family is right now. I'm thinking they have about 8 hours to go.

Then my wonderful grandson-in-law was dealing with a fussy baby who was really, really tired but only wanted his daddy to entertain him. He refused his paci, shut his eyes tight, and yelled. So I got a cup of water to dip the paci in and it worked! And my grandson-in-law, after putting Superbaby down for his nap said, "That water idea was brilliant".

Right after that, one of my Colorado Springs grandsons had trouble playing a game on Mr. Right's computer so we rebooted it, downloaded some updates, and it worked. I asked him how the game was working and my sweet grandson said, "Great!".

Then one of my 3-year-old namesakes came up and said, "Grandma, my hair!" I put her barrette back in place and she literally jumped with appreciation and said, "Yeah!".

Back to back to back I got to feel useful and helpful to people I love. And, I wonder if, when we reach a certain age, maybe somewhere in our sixties, we stop feeling quite as useful. And maybe that's what's wrong with getting old.

But a little while ago, I got to feel very useful and helpful. And my family is coming and my heart is light. If someone could bottle this feeling, they'd be the richest person in the world because it's pure happiness. In fact, if someone could bottle this feeling, everyone could feel like I feel right now.

And it really couldn't possibly get any better than that!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you feel so wonderful today. There is nothing like having your family around to make you feel that way. Don't ever feel like you are not useful. Just think of where your family would be without you. They are as blessed as you to have each other! Have a wonderful time with your family!! Say hi to Beth and the kids for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read Beth's poat about your sons. You must be so very proud!

    ReplyDelete

Gentle, strong, kind or true, I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Short or long, it's up to you, your comments and thoughts really make my day!