Thursday, March 19, 2009

All Because Of Heller

Because Beth’s Photo Capture Tuesday introduces me to lots of different blogs, I happened on this one last week.

As I read back in some posts at that site, I learned that a 9-year-old boy had died unexpectedly and suddenly just a little over a year ago. This story touched my heart. When I read that Heller’s family was asking that people do little acts of kindness in his memory, I vowed that I would do one that very day.

And I did. And the person I did it for will never know that I did it. But, I felt that it was a tribute to Heller and that God would know that because of Heller something nice was done for someone. And here’s how it might work. Had I not done my kindness, it would have been a great inconvenience to my customer. Perhaps she would have been in a very unpleasant mood for perhaps a couple of days. Her unhappy face may have been reflected in the faces of her family because, as we all know, “when mom ain’t happy, nobody’s happy”. Lol I think not doing that little kindness could potentially have trickled down to lots of different people. Truly, who knows how far the ripple effect could have reached.

Conversely, when we do these things that promote harmony and good feelings I think there’s a trickle up effect. And if we all did these things all the time, what a wonderful world it would be.

I’m still thinking about Heller all the time. I can picture a 9-year-old boy. I have two sons and 9 grandsons. I can picture a personality and the sunshine that his mom said he captured. And I vow that there will be lots of acts of kindness in Heller’s memory.

I muse about why such a terrible tragedy had to befall this family and why Heller’s time here on earth was so short. And I wonder, was Heller’s mission on earth to make the world a better place? Because who knows how far the ripples of our kindnesses (all done because of him) could travel. I think the possibilities are endless.

If you can, take a minute and visit Heller's site, . That is truly where his memory and and his family’s kindness goals take place. Maybe we can all work together to help fulfill what might well have been Heller’s mission - to change the world into a better place.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your kind words and action on behalf of my grandson, Heller. From one grandmother to another, I know that you understand and feel our loss, but you also know and feel my joy. I, Heller's Mapa, got to be his grandmother and share in his life for 9 years! I thank God continually for that blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful post - everything you wrote is so true, from the impact of a kind gesture, even just a smile to the value of Heller's life.

    Thanks for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your warm and thoughtful post about my son, Heller and the endeavor for us all to remember what our kindness to one another means to the bigger picture. This was so beautifully written, and I have such an admiration for someone such as yourself who reaches out to a stranger with such love. I will always remember your kindness. In His love, Hayley

    ReplyDelete

Gentle, strong, kind or true, I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Short or long, it's up to you, your comments and thoughts really make my day!