Monday, March 9, 2009

41 Years And Still Counting

Today Mr. Right and I sort of celebrated 41 years as a married couple. We've had our ups and we've had our downs but the rewards of 'hanging in there' are many. I don't want to sound like it's been an endurance run or anything like that. But I suspect that there are rough spots in every marriage and some get through them and some don't. I'm so glad we got through ours. I have a Mr. Right that does almost everything right. He's unfailingly kind, tolerant of my shortcomings, and loving.

But what are the rewards of being together for 41 years?

Nobody, and I do mean nobody, knows me better than he does. And he's still here!!!! And there's nobody, and I do mean nobody, that I can count on when I need reassurance and support, more than I can count on him. He's my best friend and my most loyal ally.

I don't feel that it's always been like this. Our relationship has evolved over the years. We've always cared about each other but it hasn't always been this easy. At some point I quit worrying about the things that newer marrieds worry about. At some point, I finally became comfortable and fairly confident that I was the one that he really wanted to be with. And at some point, I realized that he would still love me despite my extra 20 pounds and wrinkles (oh the wrinkles!)

So it's a very special day for me. I say that we 'sort of' celebrated because he's at work right now. I worked days and he worked evenings. But if he liked the card I gave him, half as much as I loved the card he gave me, then he's still feeling a warm glow and very real happiness that we've shared 41 years as a married couple.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Such an accomplishment in these days of disposable marriages. My husband and I will celebrate our 36th in September, so I know what you are talking about. Hopefully, you'll have time for a real celebration soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY MOM AND DAD! WE LOVE YOU!!!

    Love, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post! I know it's so strange, but I feel so proud of YOU and Dad for getting through your rough spots the way that you have. You have set an amazing example, not just for your children, but for their spouses and ALL of your grandchildren, too.

    Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete

Gentle, strong, kind or true, I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Short or long, it's up to you, your comments and thoughts really make my day!