Thursday, March 12, 2009

Why Do I Procrastinate?

A few years ago (I'm not saying how many) my dentist finished the work that was needed in my mouth. But he warned me. "If you start getting a deep dull ache above this tooth, come and see me because it will have to come out." So I did. That is I did get a deep dull ache...more intense all the time. And pain in my ear. And a bump on my gum above that tooth. Now after the visit where I got the warning, I continued my good mouth care. I got my teeth cleaned every six months, flossed and brushed regularly and felt good about myself. But once that deep, dull ache occurred, I added another facet to my regimen. I told myself that I had to make an appointment to see my dentist today...or when I'm off tomorrow....or as soon as the holidays are over or .... well, you get it. I procrastinated. I meant to do it. Really meant to. It was always on my mental "to do" list. But it never appeared on my mental "done" list.

Today it's on my "done" list. I went in, was put to sleep, and got two teeth pulled within a very short period of time. I'm home. I'm alive. And I'm relieved.

But I really want to know. What makes a procrastinator. We're not happy being procrastinators but still we are. I believe there's a certain psyche involved...a faulty way of thinking...or maybe a laziness. Maybe we're unrealistic about time and we can't see it as it slips away at ever increasing speeds. Or do we get stuck in the "now". Reading blogs, editing family pictures, or worst of all playing solitaire on the computer. And then on the way to work tomorrow we realize that we never did the thing that would have made us feel so much better in the long run. How could we have not done the most important thing??!!

It's such a mystery to me. Seriously. Can someone please tell me. Why do I procrastinate?

3 comments:

  1. Well the good news is that you aren't the only procrastinator. lol As your wonderful and favorite oldest granddaughter, I must say that I think I inherited the procrastinator gene!! lol I LOVE reading you're blog!! It's so you and reading it today brought big tears to my eyes because I wish I could see you everyday and hear you tell me about your days!! I can't wait to see you tomorrow! Your favorite and only great-grandson can't wait either!! See you soon!!

    Love,
    Ambadabambambam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea, but if you figure it out, please let me know because I do the same thing all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I love procrastinating.

    No wait. That's not true, but I still do it ALL OF THE TIME. I just think it's the way we are wired.

    ReplyDelete

Gentle, strong, kind or true, I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Short or long, it's up to you, your comments and thoughts really make my day!